Sunday, September 14, 2008

I had to compile a collection of 20 artists/40 images of my influences for my senior studio. heres what i've come up with:

Chuck Jones
Cy Twombly
Danielle Corsetto
Erika Moen
Helen Frankenthaler (her wood cuts specifically)
Ingres
Katie Baldwin
Kate Beaton
Kelly Phillips
Manet
Art Spiegelman
Marjane Satrapi
Raymond Pettibone
R Crumb
Richard Hamilton
Tex Avery
Toshihiro Kawamoto (cowboy bebop, samurai champloo, etc.)
Jhonen Vasquez
Alison Bechdel
Harvey Pekar

I'm not really sure how I feel about this list, now that i've made it. I feel like there aren't enough "Artists" in a weird way... like I have an under developed eye or something... which isn't true! My work has just been leaning in such a cartoon/comic type direction that alot of my old influences are starting to show (JTHM, Cowboy Bebop, Tex Avery...) and that's not necessarily a bad thing...

I guess i'm just thinking that Alice Oh is going to look at my collection of images and believe me to be to be under-developed.

I need to go out and look at more art.

Additions I have since thought of:

illustrations by Quentin Blake in Roald Dahl stories
toothpaste for dinner

No comments: