Sunday, October 26, 2008

Artist Statement blues

so, for my critical discourse class I needed to write an artist statement and bio. the Bio was nbd but the artist statement totally threw me for a loop. Problem is that i'm really dissatisfied with my studio work right now... I feel like i'm just spinning my wheels but not really getting anywhere with this self-portrait/comic structure thing. Because of that my statement is kinda lame. Original in terms of dispay, but a lame statement none the less.

Bio:
Claire Folkman lives in Philly. She graduated from Moore College of Art & Design with a BFA in Fine Arts. She draws a lot.

Statement:


After submitting all this stuff I had a nice little chat with my lovely boy toy (hi jeff) and he described aspects of my work to me that I hadn't really even had the ability to put into words.

He talked about the fact that my drawings are outlandish and impossible reactions to events in my life and in a way they are me tapping into my true self. In real life there are rules and regulations and societal standards that you have to abide by the prevent you from screaming at your co-workers or throttling small children. Yet in my drawings I have created an entire world where I can have every Idian responce I've ever fanticised about in my head.

I'm not really sure what i'm trying to say in a larger sense with my work... in terms of how this impacts others, but still, i guess this is a place to start.

No comments: