Monday, January 12, 2009

The rest of the semester (1)

So, after the Sublime film video (people seem to become confused as to what the fuck i'm talking about when I say film, even though I perfer it...whatever) I talked to my welding teacher Warren, cause if anyone can push my work into the next level, its him. He asked me about the sound in the film, mentioning the copyright problem first, but then asking me if I was really content with using someone elses work to express what i'm trying to express? Why would I want to give anyone even partial credit for the thing i'm trying to create? I agreed with him. I didn't want to, but I agreed with him.

The problem was I was really content with the Sublime piece! I felt like I had achieved everything I wanted to achieve with very few variables inbetween. So being told it wasn't quite there yet was rather annoying. And it wasn't just Warren telling me this, everyone who saw the piece was a little wish-washy with their feelings. Martha talked about wanted to see the divine light of the sublime...whatever Martha.

Sometime either right before or shortly after the Sublime video I was given an assignment in my Performance/Body class to write a paper suggesting a theoretical performance piece about the body and discuss the influences of the piece. Since I was face deep in this video/performance kick, i figured I would actually do the performance piece I suggested.

It took me a long time to figure out what I was going to do for this performance, but it turned out to be the strongest piece of the whole semester:

The Body


When I was making this video, I really wasn't sure what it was all going to mean in the end. Which is interesting in and of itself. I mean, I didn't know what this work was talking about but in the end it seemed to be the piece that was talking about the most stuff the most eloquently. Go figure, right?

No comments: